Nuraghe di Palmavera - Courtesy of CCIAA Sassari


Four milleniums of civilization, from the Neolithic to L'Alguer...

Alghero > Culture

Palmavera nuragic village

The nuragic complex, above in the picture, is visible even from the street which in Alghero conducts to Porto Conte. The entry is located at the intersection to the Lazzaretto beach. Its name is because of the hill where the complex appeared. From the two central towers the oldest one is made with limestone blocks and the recent one is built with sandstone blocks.
The towers are surrounded by cabanas composed by only one place which was used like rooms. The Meeting cup is interesting from an archaeological point of view. It preserves one of the few Nuragic models where is visible the upper section structure which felt down from other existing nuraghi. A qualified guide service is available to know more about the history and village's secrets.

Sant'Imbenia - Foto: Magica Servizi Informatici

Archaeological area of Sant'Imbenia

It is located in the inner part of Porto Conte bay. This area presents the rest from a nuragic village with huts. The nuragic complex is characterized by the nuragic rests with an unique tower surrounded by huts and a wide circular hut probably a place for meetings. This area was worked even by the Phoenicians and there are some Phoenicians interments. The following era this area was worked by the Romans. There are visible rests from an ancient Roman colony with an attached necropolis and a maritime house with bathes. Between the house ruins there are mosaic rests.

Cathedral of Santa Maria

The buildings was started at the beginning of 500 when Alghero became Episcopalian administration. But many elements make thinking that part from the present ringer tower and the five arches underlying were part from an earlier Islamic building.
The whole structure is the result of many interventions. The most antic part is the octagonal floor campanile meanwhile the Neoclassic façade was added during the 800s. Under the ring tower there is an wonderful Gothic portal with flower decoration.
Santa Maria

Anghelu Ruju

Necropolis of Anghelu Ruju

It is one of the most important necropolis because of its extension. This place is composed by 38 tombs, each one from 2 to 11 rooms.
It was discovered in 1903 during the excavation for the building of a farmhouse. The necropolis is digged in soft sandstone (sand rock). Probably many tombs still down the plot. The excavations brought to light an important number of finds preserved in the National Museum "G. Sanna" of Sassari and the National Museum of Cagliari.

Church and monastery of San Francesco

It is the greatest example of religious Gothic-Catalan architecture.
The church and the added monastery were built by Conventuals Franciscans who arrived to Alghero in 1330 and gave life to the convent life. The church was partially rebuilt in 500 because of a collapse. On the Romanic-Gothic façade there is an wonderful portal.
San Francesco - Photo: Wikipedia
Magnificent well restored Romanic cloister on which look out the two archers orders of the monastery and the bell tower on hexagonal layout. Today in the cloister there are exhibitions and concerts with classical music.